Orange Class has 7 pupils, all with different and complex learning needs. Our Class Teacher is Vikki Yates and Kulbir Convery the Teaching Assistants are Dawn, Nahid and Reanne .
The staff help students to learn the routines of a busy learning environment to ensure they all make the very best progress they can.
As well as good behaviour, we are also promoting their independence life skills.
Our classroom rules are:
- Good Looking
- Good Listening
- Good Sitting
- Good Signing
- Good Communication
How we learn and communicate
The curriculum in our class is differentiated so that all pupils learn. Their lessons are planned to challenge their mind, body and soul.
In Orange Class we communicate in a variety of ways including use of objects of reference, symbols, Makaton signing, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECs) and speech. This means that we develop ways to express ourselves and communicate our needs so that we can be more confident and independent learners.
Our classroom is designed so that we use structured learning principles to support us. This often involves us:
- Following schedules for our work
- Listening to music cues to support our transition from one activity to the next
- Using work stations to encourage us to be independent learners and develop concentration skills
- Using behaviour support boards to help us understand what we need to do to achieve
Individual Education Plans (IEPs) are well embedded in our classroom and help us to break down our barriers to learning. We all try hard to meet our IEP targets!
Some of us have extra support to help our learning from occupational therapy and speech and language therapy.
This term’s topic
- In RE we will be learning about Celebrations within different religions.
- In Science we will be learning about Electricity. We will explore the cause and effect of switches and how electrical appliances work.
- In PSHE we will be learning about Emotions and how others feel.
- In Computing we will be looking at creating and using computer games.
- In DT we will be learning all about Celebrations where people give a gift.
- In Music we will be playing instruments whilst enjoying our sing a long sessions.
- In Art we will be learning about craft products and exploring using a range of craft materials.
- In PE we will be learning to control our movement through gymnastics.