Education and learning
Teaching and learning at RNIB Three Spires Academy is creative, relevant and enjoyable, ensuring that everyone learns and develops.
Children are taught in three phases:
- Early Years
- Key Stage 1
- Key Stage 2
We teach the children in an age appropriate context at a level suitable to their abilities, always remembering that the individual needs of our pupils come first.
All those involved in teaching and learning at Three Spires work hard to enhance the learning experience of all our children. We aim to ensure that everyone involved with the children has an active role in their educational experiences.
Our ‘My World’ Curriculum at Three Spires is flexible, imaginative and relevant, encompassing the mind, body and soul. We aim to ensure equality of opportunity for all children, so that they gain key skills in an enjoyable and motivating way.
Developing key skills and supporting children to generalise their learning is an important focus of our curriculum. We believe that developing the skills which enable our students to live and work as part of the community is essential, such as working with others, thinking skills and sensory awareness and perception.
All children at Three Spires will have an entitlement to the following:
- Differentiated National Curriculum
- Core Curriculum: Maths, English, Personal Social and Health education (PSHE), Physical education (PE), Information Communication Technology (ICT), and Religious Education (RE).
- Foundation Curriculum: a topic based creative curriculum that includes aspects of Art, Design and Technology, Music, Dance, Drama, Science, PE, History, Geography
- Living Skills Curriculum: helps to develop skills such as personal care, eating and social interaction.
- SEN Strategies: our school uses a range of strategies to enable students to access learning, for example “structured learning”, PECS and Team-Teach.
Download overviews of our Curriculum Coverage for academic year 2016-17:
- Key stage 1 2016-17 Curriculum Coverage-RNIB Three Spires Academy (Word, 1,035 KB)
- Key stage 2 2016-17 Curriculum Coverage – RNIB Three Spires Academy (Word, 2,059 KB)
We pride ourselves in ensuring children are ready for their next steps in education.
Progress and achievement
We monitor pupil progress and achievement using P-Level Scales and National Curriculum level descriptions. We are proud of our results which show a high percentage of children exceed the expected progress for their age (in line with progression guidance SEN).
We believe that empowering children to communicate effectively supports their progress and achievement. We use a range of communication strategies including signing, PECS and visual cues.
Teaching of phonics
RNIB Three Spires employs Read Write Inc as our phonics and reading programme and full details are provided in our RWI policy 2015 (Word, 361KB)
School performance tables
Pupil progress report
Download our pupil progress report 2015-16 (Word, 2059 KB)
The Department for Education have recently reinforced the need “to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
For more information on how we make sure this happens in our school please download the document below.
PE and sports grant 2017
Find out what we spent the PE and sports grant 2016-17 (Word, 2,056 KB) on to improve the quality of our PE and sport activities for our pupils.
Download our school meals menu (PDF, 2,228 KB) for autumn term 2015.
Exceptional time out of school policy
Regular attendance at school is very important if your child is able to achieve his or her potential. However, we understand there may be times when you are considering taking your child out of school during term time under exceptional circumstances.
Download our Exceptional time out of school policy (Word, 2,057 KB) for more information.